Do you really need to upgrade to Windows 10? If this computer is used on the internet, yes, unfortunately you need to upgrade. Cyber Security is critical to using technology, one breach not only hurts you, but hurts your customers as well. When technology like Windows 7 becomes unsupported Hackers start finding ways to penetrate the operating system and then deploy any number of attacks, (Ransomware, Malware, Phishing, etc.)
How much does it cost to upgrade?
Well, if you are fairly technical and you don’t mind the risks, you can actually do it yourself. just follow the steps below:
- Backup all your critical files (There is a potential risk the system won’t upgrade properly )
- Uninstall any Antivirus software (You can install it again afterward, but it doesn’t let the upgrade happen if you have it on)
- Have a Technology firm identified to help if any issues are encountered (such as O2B Services ?)
- Download the “Create Windows 10 Installation Media” from the Microsoft website
- Install the software and choose Upgrade this PC now
- Windows 10 should start up and verify files and applications work
What are the risks with the upgrade?
There are a few risks we’ve heard about, but never experienced ourselves. A list of these are below:
- Machine may fail to boot – during the upgrade a system file may get corrupt
- Sometimes applications fail to work and may need to be reinstalled
- Windows fails to Activate – this may be resolved sometimes by just changing the product key and using the Windows 7 Key but if it doesn’t you may need to purchase a Windows 10 license
How does O2B Services handle the upgrade?
We typically only charge our customers the labour to do the upgrade. If a customer wants to eliminate risks, we will arrange for an image of the machine to be taken before the upgrade in case any issues occur. This allows us to rollback to Windows 7 and reassess the upgrade path. We have completed numerous upgrades for customers and have even done some upgrades remotely for clients.